please help with this tub leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linny33

Reaction score
Hi
this tub and surround and only a few months old. It is a three peice surround with a lip on the tub and contractor said it did not require caulk. I used a quick dry poly caulk that ended up peeling away quickly. I pulled it off and now found this water damage. It is on both sides of tub in this location. The contractor that did this is a small town guy. I highly doubt he will come back to fix. Can anyone tell me if this is because the area between the tub and surround is just leaking water out during each shower?
Should i just re caulk?
Please help.

2012-04-13 09 39 49.jpg

Looks like water is getting behind the surround and into the wall. Bad news is that the wall needs replacing because mold will grow in there. It seems he did not get a water tight fit . . . sorry but the fix will be ugly.

Hard to tell what that picture is even showing, it's confusing to me because of what looks like a piece of wood paneling on the left side.
It may just be the way the picture was taken.
If that's just a wall and that a glass shower door it's looks more like someone's not been closing the door tight when taking a shower.
The only seam in that area that could leak is around that door frame.
You should have used silicone caulk after cleaning the area of old caulking and wiping it down with rubbing alcohol.

The tub has a lip on the sides that's about an inch high and the encloshure sits over that so there's about a 0 % chance that it's leaking. In fact most often no caulking is used at the bottom when installing an encloshure.
Also make sure no one caulked over the drain holes in the bottom track for the door. Even the back side where the two pieces of the track and side rail go should not be caulked, there has to be a way for the water to drain back into the tub.

Back