How to paint an exterior plastic kids slide

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinchi

Reaction score
I'd love to paint 2 bright yellow brand new shiny plastic kid slides on our playhouse. I want them to be a dark hunter green. Ideally with a shiny finish (so it's slippery). What would be the best products to use to do this?

I was thinking a bonding primer--which one would be good?

Followed by maybe an alkyd exterior floor paint??

Need something to hold up to some flexing of the slide, kids climbing up it with shoes, and UV rays.

Tricky, right? Please help. I'd love for this playset to blend in a little better. :)

A dark color will make the slide much hotter.
Paints just going to stay stuck.

Your best bet is to consult an auto body paint vendor.

Floor paints are formulated for foot traffic, not butt skids.

I'd love to paint 2 bright yellow brand new shiny plastic kid slides on our playhouse. I want them to be a dark hunter green. Ideally with a shiny finish (so it's slippery). What would be the best products to use to do this?

I was thinking a bonding primer--which one would be good?

Followed by maybe an alkyd exterior floor paint??

Need something to hold up to some flexing of the slide, kids climbing up it with shoes, and UV rays.

Tricky, right? Please help. I'd love for this playset to blend in a little better. :)

more like next to impossible IMO

The color of the plastic is most likely incorporated into the plastic. You won't find any coating that will adhere all that well or have any durability.

I've seen them in green, you will have better results by replacing them with new ones or purchasing the entire kit in the green color option.

I used krylon plastic paint on some jeep interior parts a few years back. I wish I never would have. Looks worse now than before.

My paint shop says they have a dye for plastic but I have not researched it at all.

anything you put on the slide, them little butts will rub off

I agree with most of these post's, although i may not be as experienced i can say that paint is just going to rub off too easily with kids sliding down the slide :D

Ancient history I know but here's a thought on plastic things like slides ect. In the long run paint just isn't going to stay and you will end up with the worst thing you have now by far. TheColor is normally cast throughout the item is not much you can do with it and Krylon it's just gonna smear Nd crack eventually. Probably sooner more than later.
Your best bet. And it's not gonna look wonderful is some of that plastic restores like Armer all . They usually bring up some of the luster from the faded pieceand in the bargain give you a lot of protection against the sun. And it was the sun that ruined it in the first place. Good news with those slides that in spite of their feeding they seem to last forever:thbup:Good news with those slides that in spite of their feeding they seem to last forever

Back