how to Frame this?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgoblue24

Reaction score
I am about to begin framing my basement but need suggestions or ideas of how to frame one corner of my basement. I have a radon system with a pump that is in the corner of my basement. The pump in the floor is right by a window so boxing it in as a closet is not much of a choice. What do you guys recommend I do? I have attached photo's to show what I am talking about so it is easier to understand.

DSC_0119.jpg
DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg
DSC_0115.jpg

I don't see why you can't frame in a wall is it because of the door that will need to be framed in, or is it the existing window that you want to trim out. If so than you will need to build the wall with some angles to get by the window. And just sneak the wall right by the electrical plug. just do a layout on the floor first. As far as the door to access you may end up having to build a longer wall and go with by-pass or bi-fold. Hope this helps.

the issue is if I were to build a wall that was squared at the corner in front the wall would block part of the window, and then if I were to angle it a bit I am afraid it may look funny when all my other walls are squared.

sorry for double post

Last edited:
if that window were just a few inches to the right or the sump pit a little to the left.

Option 1) Move either the window or the sump pit. That's messy, expensive and time consuming.

option 2) put in a smaller window - Still have siding and such outside to deal with.

option 3) angle the wall as suggested - yeah, will look weird.

option 4) step the wall like this
|_
O|

- The stepped wall would look better than an angled wall. It would also create a little nook for shelves for books, videos or chackas.

Option 5 - build wall past the window and have the space unfinished storage.

Personally - I would opt for moving the sump pit.

FYI - We did a series of podcasts where we talked about basement finishing, check them out if you want at Basement Finishing Series

Well I have thought of two options the first option is framing a bench into the wall right next to the window, the other option is similar to what handyguy suggested. but on the lower part that jets out have a small bi fold door that gives you access to the pump. How difficult will it be to frame that in with very minimal to zero give room. I am talking to where when the door is closed it may be touching the cover to the pump.

model.jpg

Last edited:
Back