Frozen joint compound-still good?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tellebot

Reaction score
I used some ready mixed all-purpose joint compound left over from another project to fill in the kitchen walls yesterday. The previous homeowners did a poor job of smoothing out the uneven plaster, so there were a lot of areas needing to be filled in.

I was feeling pretty good about how nice it was looking...until my husband came home and told me that when he was helping me clean up last time, he had left the bucket in our uninsulated, unheated mudroom instead of taking it all the way to the basement, and it had frozen.

Is it still good? The bucket says to keep above freezing. Will I need to take off what I did yesterday? Will it hold up okay, and I can leave it?

Thanks!

I think you will be fine don’t take it off unless you see it didn’t dry out after a day or so. I mainly think the do not freeze is for the full buckets as they would freeze and break. Crank up the heat and see what happens

Depending on how thick it is on will dictate how long to dry.

It dried just fine. It's on pretty thin; only one area had a deeper dip to fill in, but most were pretty shallow where the mud hadn't been evenly applied. I think I know now why so many walls were covered in wallpaper-to hide how poorly they mudded the walls.

Back