Letting hardwood adjust...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jophus14

Reaction score
After weeks of trying to make a decision on laminate or hardwood flooring, I finally decided to go with 3/4" oak hardwood. I know I have to let the wood sit in my living room for 48-72 hours prior to install. With the temperature in Illinois being in the 60s-70s range right now, will anything happen to the flooring when the summer rolls around and the temperature starts to heat up? In the summertime, my living room can reach in the upper 80s if I don't have the AC on all day long. I would just hate for the floor to start buckling or warping in the next few months if I install it now when the temperature is lower. Thanks.

You want the flooring to be equal to the current room temperature before you install it. Also you can leave some easement at the outer edges around the wall so it can breath during the hot summers.

Do you have any idea how many billions (with a "B") of square feet of hardwood floors there are in the world that survive seasonal climatic changes on a regular basis without any issues?

Any new product needs to be acclimatized for a short time to its new surroundings. Follow the acclamation instructions of the supplier and you'll be fine.:)

You want the flooring to be equal to the current room temperature before you install it. Also you can leave some easement at the outer edges around the wall so it can breath during the hot summers.

Thanks. I know about leaving the wood out and making sure to leave a gap at the walls to expansion, but I was just curious as to whether the dramatic jump in temperature over the next couple of months will have any effect on a newly installed floor? Like I mentioned before, the inside of my house can get pretty hot with the sun beating in all day. I don't think the wood will shift but I wanted to ask all of you. Thanks again.

It will move some but as Bud said, follow the manufactures recommendation for acclimation. It will swell a bit with higher humidity and shrink a little when its less humid. The 'swelling' wont likely even be measurable and certainly not noticeable. Where it sometimes goes awry is when it acclimated in a very humid environment and then shrinks (when AC is on) and you have slight gaps between boards. If you are concerned, acclimate it with the AC on. Or better yet, acclimate it in the environment you are most likely to encounter. In other words, if you never run the AC then acclimate it that way.

Latest posts

Back