concrete stain between slab sandstones

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am thinking about "updating" the look of my 1970's home by coloring the drab light gray concrete between the sandstone slabs in the entrance way (steps also)....is this a pipe dream or can it be done by anyone? It has never been painted or stained before but looks ugly to me....I don't want to make it look worse however....any suggestions? What kind of stain? Can it be hand-painted on? etc......anyone ever done this before????:confused:

Hello, Actually I have tried that with a couple customers in the past. Thing is, the stain never seems to penetrate deep enough into the motar. naturally, if a different colors is wanted it is mixed into the motar when its wet at time of installation, and is color through. Maybe try some on a small area first, let it set a few weeks and see what you think. In both experience that I have done for my customers they both knew there was a chance it not looking right or lasting long, and we were righ. The stain never acheived the correct color they desired and it faded in one yr time. "Dont fix it if it aint broke" :rolleyes: Good Luck GregC

pick up some concrete DYE & foam brush's- some dyes're wtr-based & others're acetone,,, works fine IF you're careful - looks horrible if you mess up !

stay away from acid-stain as that'll attack the mortar & ruin it.

Latest posts

Back