Painting vinyl siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbesong

Reaction score
About 10 years ago we put an addition on the house. I tried to match the color to what was not exposed to the sun on the old siding thinking that the sun will eventually bleach the siding to match. However, that never happened. My wife wants all new siding, but I think it would be cheaper and look just as nice to just paint it. I know if i paint it i'll have to paint it again someday, but just thinking about the work and expense of replacing the siding is depressing. Any thoughts?

Thereis house up here that was a real nice white over white with white trim. They painted a nice green, looks not to bad but in the winter the vinyl shrinks and there is a little white line at every joint. It still looks good after four or five years. It is a special paint they use.

Been there done that lots of times, always a disaster.
It can be done with any quality acrylic latex paint, Sherwin Williams super paint, or Duration works.
Far better to just replace the siding and leave the trim in place.
DIY 101 to replace the siding with the trim left in place.

I painted some last fall and plan on doing more this summer. I have a garage the last owner built and he sided it with leftovers from the house and when he ran out switched to whatever he could find. So the back and side of my garage are a patchwork of colors. I haven’t painted a lot of it but as mentioned above any good paint should work. Paint normally fails due to being pushed off from the back not wearing thru from the front. So from that stand point it seems like it should last a long time if the surface prep is good. As to Neal’s thoughts on the lines showing that’s something I didn’t think of and I will have to try and brush under the laps a little.

I'd make sure you prepare the surface well first and then I'd use enamel based paints. Will last longer and wont fade as much. I've done my fair share of painting over the years, and really wouldn't want to have to do that regularly again

Latest posts

Back