Bath tub Refinishing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't remember the product but it lasted as long as the tub did, about two days. it was a mess.

The Homax brand did not do well according to the HD guy ... lasted three weeks. BUT, preparation is crucial. Refinishing pros use three different products to strip the tub of soap, body oils, and grime. Some of it is really nasty chemical and acid wash stuff. The pros also use a two part spray rig.

Would still like to see if anyone else has direct experience with these products ...

TUB.JPG

Did you ever try it? I'd like to paint my old cast iron enamel kitchen sink that's looking pretty grungy, with hairline cracks, pitted areas, and really bad staining which we can't get clean. I read reviews of this product on Amazon, and it sounds like prep is key.

Sorry ... forgot to update. YES, I did apply it. Used foam roller which must be rolled slowly because they leave bubbles (cavitation). However, the bubble pop and the material lays down. A good quality foam brush is also essential for lines and corners. Use a light touch and draw out the material to prevent marks.

What I liked was how the material laid down flat and glossy. The tub bottom and horizontal edges were particularly nice. The vertical sides require close attention. Too much material can cause runs. Better to apply two coats within an hour per directions.

PREPARATION is key. I did a light sanding with 600 grit, washed the tub, scrubbed with acetone and a scrub pad, washed and dried, then wiped with clean cloth. Tub pros use an acid wash as well.

Be warned ... the tub must be unused for THREE DAYS after the refinishing.

I used the Homax product. I had a tub that was originally spicy mustard yellow, then painted white. A lot of the white had peeled off the bottom and the lower sides. I stripped as much of the old paint off as I could using Citristrip. The old paint on the sides was still good but had to wet sand the line between the original tub and first paint as I just wanted to just repaint the bottom and blend it into the existing white sides which were fine.
Got the Homax white from the paint department in HD. Went through all the prep on the instructions. Started spraying on the new coat and saw it was a different shade of white. Not your standard white of a toilet or sink...a bit greyer.
Returned it to HD and found out the the bright white is sold in the plumbing department. Applied that per instructions and after a year it still looks great. I don't use that particular tub shower often but I'm happy with it.
Spraying can be a bit of a pain because of the angles, in a small space. I had a few runs I had to brush out and in a few spots I got some fine orange peel, but honestly I'm not real concerned with a bit of texture on the cast iron tub.
I don't know if brush on product would be better than spray but smooth, clean prep is key. If you looked at it very closely with a lot of additional light you'll probably note it had been painted. Other than that...probably not.
I would use it again even though all the steps are a pain.

Latest posts

Back