Whacky kitchen sink fixture bolt?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmilary

Reaction score
Hello!

I have an old American Standard kitchen sink faucet that needs desperately to be replaced. I'm fairly handy around the house, but can't fathom how to detach the bolt holding it in place.

I have attached a picture. Can anyone advise how to remove this?

I know I need to get the corrosion under control, but how do I turn it if/once I am able to remove all 3 phillips head screws that are there?

Ther is VERY little room to maneuver up in there.

Thank you so much!

schmilary (Hilary)

Chucks sink small.jpg

I would do a Terminate with Extreme Prejudice on that...

A Dremel Tool or RotoZip with an abrasive cut off wheel would make room for a new faucet...

Spray the screws with WD-40, using the plastic tube that comes with the can (for accuracy). Then get a long handled Phillips screwdriver and place it in the slot. Tap with a hammer to set up a vibration in the screw. You may still need to use pliers to turn thwe screws, but it should work.

Spray the screws with WD-40, using the plastic tube that comes with the can (for accuracy). Then get a long handled Phillips screwdriver and place it in the slot. Tap with a hammer to set up a vibration in the screw. You may still need to use pliers to turn thwe screws, but it should work.

I agree but would use Kroil or ATF & Acetone as the loosener.

I don't think I would use acetone in a close area where I was going to be working. WD-40 smells bad enough.

The old deck plate had bolts and screwed in to the two outer holes, like a dummy I threw it away. The new deck plate just uses plumbers putty, no matter how much I use it still comes loose. Now I would like to find just the deck plate for my sink that I can bolt down. Any one know where is a place that sells those separately?

Back