Add a Humidfier to a New Furnace or Not?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
We are in the process of selling my mother's house, built in 1988, to pay for her living in an assisted living facility. In a recent home inspection this issue was noted....

The original furnace was replaced about 5 years ago, and the original did not have a humidifier added. The new furnace was installed along with a humidifier, and guess what? The incompetent idiot who installed it put the humidifier sideways on one side (meaning the top is on the right, bottom with drain is on the left), and never hooked it up. There is no provision for water and no connection to a thermostatic switch.

I am well aware of the benefits of having a humidifier, but in this case, I am wondering if it is permissible to remove the non functioning unit and avoid the hassles of trying to make it work. (yes, it could be made to function, but with quite a bit of work we really do not want to pay for).

What say the experts on this board?

Thanks!

vince

I think I'd make it go away. Nothing says you have to have one. Duct work will have to be patched. You could always leave it in a box for the new owner to decide if they want it or not. Just my :2cents:

The only issue with leaving it is that a buyers home inspector (possibility if they are sharp) will notice and tell the prospective buyer. Then the buyer will want you to "fix" the unit as a condition of sale.

I recommend pulling it out or fixing it up.

Latest posts

Back