Hmm

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The killer was a Chinese Canadian immigrant from Calgary by the name of Vincent Li. He heard voices in his head while on a Greyhound Bus trip telling him to kill the guy in the seat next to him (Tim McLean) before McLean killed him. Li pulled out a hunting knife and stabbed McLean repeatedly in the neck. The bus driver immediately pulled the bus over just outside Winnipeg and the passengers evacuated the bus. Li then proceeded to cut McLean's head off with the knife, and actually ate part of the body. Li's thinking was, that if he ate the body, it couldn't come back to life and kill him. I don't know what parts he ate, but I don't think it was the brain. (He wasn't from this area so he didn't know that the local custom was to decapitate the head and then eat the brain.)

Li was subsequently found "Not Criminally Responsible" in court (he was deemed to be insane at the time he committed the murder), and is currently housed with other "Not Criminally Responsible" patients at the mental hospital in Selkirk. There was a big spat on the radio here a few weeks ago when the Selkirk Mental Hospital requested funding of $1 million dollars to build a secure fence around part of the hospital grounds where patients like Li could spend time outdoors. As it stands now, he's not allowed outdoors without restraints (handcuffs, leg irons) and a guard, and the staff at the hospital figured it was about time they had a secure area outdoors where people like Li could go without the restraints and the guards. Most people here just want to lock him up and throw away the key.

Tim McLean lived fairly close to where one of my sisters does, and attended the same schools as my two nephews (one of whom got his Transport Canada commercial pilot's licence recently).

Last edited:
Geez. In Texas we would have executed him. I still wouldn't let him outside.

Canada hasn't had capital punishment since the 1960's. In fact, we won't even extradite someone to another country (even the USA) to have their day in court if the result could be capital punishment. I guess if I had to choose one way or the other, I'd probably agree with the policy we have now. Technology is always changing, and there's always the possibility of some new science being able to prove a person is innocent in the future. That's exactly what happened with DNA testing.

I put capital punishment, abortion, gun laws, and other contentious issues in the same bag; the one marked "Problems with no good solutions." You know there's no point arguing with anyone about any of the issues in that bag because it's already well established that none of them have a solution that everyone can live with. So, we all have to live with the problem persisting as it is.

Last edited:
Back