Attic Storage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samblount

Reaction score
I'm a bit new to this, but had to share my story with anyone else that might need the same help. It started with us trying to find the best way to declutter and improve our house. The easiest answer, use our attic. Cleaning it and such was pretty easy. It wasn't even too bad to get our clutter into the attic. Our problem began when I almost fell through the attic opening because I wasn't paying attention when I stepped back. Instantly we knew we needed to make a change.

We could have spent lots of money to completely redo the entrance, but we don't like to spend a lot. After some research, I came acoss this attic railing: http://goo.gl/9EXE29

We installed it ourselves to keep down costs and it was pretty simple to do. Our attic storage safety went from dangerous to safe in just a little bit of time. This was the best decision we made and I couldn't help but share with anyone else that needs better an improved safety measure for their home! :clap:

Good idea but I would never spend 200 bucks on that. I can think of ten ways to build the same thing a lot cheaper out of stuff you can find at the building center. I made one out of black iron pipe and tees and elbows and face flanges for something similar.

Anyone else have a plan on an attic rail?

I'm wondering why an attic rail is even necessary. I've installed many drop ladders for folks, and never once considered a railing. If you don't know how to be careful up in an attic, you shouldn't be up there in the first place. JMHO!

I suspect this is just spam or advertising or whatever. But a single high handrail would never pass anybodies safety code. I peice of plywood and couple 2x4s and you have 3 walls around the opening.

That’s two ideas and yes I know its spam. As to why we need one? We don’t but then again we don’t need a lot of the stuff we are made to do. The last push lawnmower I bought had so many safety features it wouldn’t cut grass. I don’t think my car should slam on the brakes just because I’m texting and not paying attention but it’s here and soon we will all have to have it. Everything is regulated or outlawed for our own good. I don’t see a diving board in havasu’s icon that’s just crazy to think people used to do such a high risk thing like jumping in a pool.

The plywood box is a good idea Neal. But I like to just poke my head up and shove stuff 360 degrees.

When people build offices in warehouses they often want use the area above for storage, all the handrail rules apply evan with a pull down ladder.
In the home people never consider the fact that kids can get anywhere and attic accesses should be locked.

If your attic floor joists are not designed for storage then keep all your stuff at the edges of the attic floor.
It also wouldn't hurt to measure your attic floor deflection at the midspan before and after you load it up. You can use a taut string for this.

Back