Inclining tree

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccpyue

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a juniper which is about 20 ft tall. Recent few years, it keeps on leaning toward my house. I have questions and need expert advise:

If I cut 1/4 or 1/3 of the top part of this tree, can it still survive and will re-grown at the tree top (see photo: if I cut at the Black Line) ?

Hope for some advice. Thank you.

Bending Tree.jpg

Asked two arborists but no one can tell me whether it can survive if cut it like this.

and there has no other tree or post that I can tie to hold it back.

It looks like it has started to try and straighten itself already at the new growth at the top.

Anytime I have ever topped a fir or spruce they have developed a new top sometimes more than one. In that case after a few years we picked the one that looked the straightest and cut the other tops out.

Even where you have the line drawn the tree is leaning a good deal you might have to go lower.

Do you have any idea why it started leaning is there a strong wind or is it trying to grow away from the other tree.

I don't think it's too unusual for evergreens to be that flexible. It doesn't look like the whole tree is leaning, so it may be just the younger, fresher wood is bending. That could straighten itself out as it matures. is the tree healthy otherwise (it looks ok in the pic)?
It looks like a separate tree right next to it; you could try cabling it to that one. But if you don't do it right, you could end up strangling one or both trees.

juniper??? looks like a blue spruce from here. Either way, you could cut the top out most anywhere without causing any damage to the tree. Me, I would cable it back to the other tree(juniper??)

juniper??? looks like a blue spruce from here. Either way, you could cut the top out most anywhere without causing any damage to the tree. Me, I would cable it back to the other tree(juniper??)

This evergreen is about 15 years old and only looks healthy on one side. Its other side, from ground to about 6 ft are all bare branches. The one next to it growing very well and healthy. But these two trees are planted too close, both of them, there adjacent sides are not growing well, probably no sun light can reach. In order to save the healthy one, I might have to remove this bending one.

Straitening a tree is a lot bigger job than one would think. It’s really common for a homeowner to underestimate how big a tree will get and how fast it will happen. They were planted to close together and eventually they will both look messed up and you will trunk them by cutting off the bottom limbs. Do yourself a favor and take the bent one down so light can get at the other and keep it a nice looking tree. It’s the simplest solution and the best.

Straitening a tree is a lot bigger job than one would think. It’s really common for a homeowner to underestimate how big a tree will get and how fast it will happen. They were planted to close together and eventually they will both look messed up and you will trunk them by cutting off the bottom limbs. Do yourself a favor and take the bent one down so light can get at the other and keep it a nice looking tree. It’s the simplest solution and the best.

That's a very good advice. First, I think cutting it down is a lot more easier job than climbing up and cut part of it. Then the tree next to it will definitely grow healthier.

Thank you

That's a very good advice. First, I think cutting it down is a lot more easier job than climbing up and cut part of it. Then the tree next to it will definitely grow healthier.

Thank you

You are welcome.

One thing that I always wondered about is why do you first cut a tree down and then you cut it up..... :p

Back