framing a interior wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
Hi all, I would like to convert my dinning area into a study room. when I frame up the wall can I nail the new wall through the drywall into the ceiling joists or do I need to take off the drywall. thanks

Yes you can just nail thru the drywall. I would use screws, to make it easy if someone wants to remove your wall in the future.

I'd remove a notch of drywall for the new wall, personally. Make it look more... permanent?

Tx Builder, A finished wall looks like a finished wall. Leaving the drywall in place is standard for a temp. wall and today's market with all this open concept stuff, you can be sure this will be temp. Leaving the drywall in place adds to fire and noise abatement and if this is on the top floor, there would be a chance of cutting the vapour barier and that never gets fixed properly.

Tx Builder, A finished wall looks like a finished wall. Leaving the drywall in place is standard for a temp. wall and today's market with all this open concept stuff, you can be sure this will be temp. Leaving the drywall in place adds to fire and noise abatement and if this is on the top floor, there would be a chance of cutting the vapour barier and that never gets fixed properly.

You win, you win! All good points.

Just do what Neal says, OP!

Back