Wet Ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

I live in the rainy region of western Washington. I own a 4-bedroom rambler that I bought in 2002. It has a two-car garage. The pitch of the roof is really low, like about six-to-one. A roofing company replaced the roof in 2006, with a standing-seam metal roof. They installed new sheathing. The workmanship looked good. This morning it was probably around 30 degrees, and snowing lightly. I looked up at the ceiling in the garage, and there were wet areas on the plywood. There was a wet streak more or less parallel to one of the rafters, as well as other wet areas.

Is there a way to be sure whether it is leaking?

In case it makes any difference, the garage has a ventilated cap at the peak. I keep the garage window open about an inch to give some ventilation.

How should I proceed on this?

What type of metal roof panels did they put on, standing seam or exposed screw down panels. What type of underlayment did they use? Can you post a pic of the roof slope.

...and :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

They are standing-seam. I don't recall what type of underlayment they used.
The slope of the roof is very shallow.

Can you post a pic of the slope and also a close up of the actual roof panel? If you can get them on your computer you can attach them to a post, scroll down from the box where you type and click on manage attachments.

Here are some pictures showing the metal roof and the wet ceiling underneath. I felt those dark areas with my fingers. It feels like it's wet. How is that water getting there?

1-28-12, ROOF AND CEILING 039.jpg

1-28-12, ROOF AND CEILING 041.jpg

1-28-12, ROOF AND CEILING 045.jpg

There should be either a "Z" bar at the top that the hip cap attach's to or at least a foam closure in between the standing seam under the cap to keep wind driven rain from blowing up, under the cap. You can retro fit the closure, and they can be purchased separately. You may even find some at the apron stores in the roofing section.

The roof looks really shallow, could be a capillary reaction, the water could be travelling back up into the roof.. just a hunch.

Last edited:
I live in the rainy region of western Washington. I own a 4-bedroom rambler that I bought in 2002. It has a two-car garage. The pitch of the roof is really low, like about six-to-one. A roofing company replaced the roof in 2006, with a standing-seam metal roof. They installed new sheathing. The workmanship looked good. This morning it was probably around 30 degrees, and snowing lightly. I looked up at the ceiling in the garage, and there were wet areas on the plywood. There was a wet streak more or less parallel to one of the rafters, as well as other wet areas.

Is there a way to be sure whether it is leaking?

In case it makes any difference, the garage has a ventilated cap at the peak. I keep the garage window open about an inch to give some ventilation.

How should I proceed on this?

Does it leak when its snowing or very cold ? does it leak all the time when it rains or does it leak in different wind directions?

Latest posts

Back