winters coming are you ready

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's still 80 here. It appears we will not be getting a winter this year.

I used the warm days here to reassemble more of my car's engine after replacing the head gasket.
For the next few days I have a glove with the fingertips cut off and a hair dryer on a cord for when I can't feel my hands at all. The trick with the dryer if you are using it to dry gloves or boots is to maintain enough airflow so the one-time thermal overload switch doesn't open.

Last edited:
72, bright and sunny. I don't now what I want anymore. I thought I wanted winter, but I'm really liking this weather.

gloating present participle of gloat

Verb

gloating

Contemplate or dwell on one's own success or another's misfortune with malignant pleasure.

I could never figure out why people up north where always looking forwaed to winter, until I realized that the average family had $30,000 worth of snowmobiles all tuned up and ready to go.

I'd trade my Australian summer for American winter all day long D:

Now it's 46 and I'm cold.

As for gloating, come to Texas where the weather is OK!

We've got over 40 today and except for the rain would be quite nice. Actually our winters aren't that bad.

Our area just got 10-16" of snow. The trouble is that it was fairly wet and stuck before weather turned down to about 0F. The deicers do not work at the low temperatures, but many people were out rutting atound and compacting the snow into solid ice on the roads. It would if we had gotten a nice dry snow from the north when the skies turn clear help the sun melt the snow on the roads.

The skiers and snowmobilers are happy now, but want some more on top. The ice fishermen are not happy because the lakes are really not frozen over. The hockey people are still short of ice and all the indoor sheets are booked 24/7 and the natural ice for both regular and pond style hockey (different rinks and rules) have not developed due to the warm weather.

We know it will improve as it gets colder.

Dick

Sounds like fun once it's frozen over.

Down here if we get sleet we go inside and don't come out till it's off the ground.

Ya - it is a little different, but it is enjoyable companion to the good summers, plus the economy is heavily based on fun, snow and cold.

It is ironic to see high school kids going into a football stadium for a championship football game and see hockey skates and sticks attached since they had reserved the ice arena across the street much earlier to legally start practices for the upcoming hockey season once the football game is over.

We rarely get sleet because it is cold for that messy stuff and just go inside for hockey or outside to fight the skiing on icy slopes, but nothing is perfect. - Many people prefer "hard" water since it makes things more fun.

Dick

You can comeover here for ice fishing, but might have to dodge the ice in your boat and also avoid the floating snow mobiles that mistook alittle bit of white on the water as snow, when it was really "soft" water and not "hard" water. - It happens every year, even to the guys that try drive out in their vehicles in the next few weeks. The areas under the bridges are always a problem all year because of the currents.

In the spring, we go out on the ice when it is thawing and go on skis and pull a canoe in order to get back to solid ice/ground. The early spring crappie fishing is fantastic and you even get a few pike that are wanting to go up streams to spawn or get speared (illegally for pike).

Dick

Last edited:
I was told that I should have taken an auger and just drilled a hole to fish in.
So the next day I took my auger to the center of the ice and started turning the auger.
I herd this booming deep voice say " THERE ARE NO FISH THERE"
I moved down the ice a little and started again.
I herd the voice again say "THERE ARE NO FISH THERE"
I moved down the way a little and started again.
I again herd the voice and he said "I TOLD YOU THERE ARE NO FISH THERE"
I raised my voice and asked, Who are you?
The voice replied "THE ARENA MANAGER":rolleyes:

Dick; You were out looking at flood damage. Was there anything that you thought people should have done to there houses that would or could have made a difference.

They just opened our new cable bridge, they claim the widest in the world. The other day we had about an inch of snow which stuck to the cables and frooze. When it fell off they had smashed windshields and all kinds of fun. Were back up to 40 now, really warm.:rolleyes:

Was there a lot of damage?

We're in the low 60's now.

Back