Water build up when raining in the subfloor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choppol

Reaction score
Hi all,

In the last couple of days it's been raining in Sydney and my house have a subfloor and I noticed that there's a build in rain water at the front of the 2 rooms of the house.

The land slope downward from the backyard to the front of the house. But the problem also is that there's a little garden just in front of the house that's touching the front wall and it's sitting higher than the subfloor itself (that's one of my problem that I have to find a way to fix before it gets worse)

My questions is that is the best way to remove/stop the water from building up in the subfloor of the house. Firstly, I was thinking of adding more sand to at least dry it up and also provide more support to the subfloor.

Thanks for your advice.

Hello Choppol:
Is the land on the other side of the wall you mentioned at a lower elevation? If that is the case, you may need to install a French drain from the back corners of the house to the outside of the wall. Bury a perforated plastic pipe (preferably an SDR 21 PVC pipe) bed it in rock and cover it with rock so the rain can soak down to the pipe quickly and be drained away. Please post back and let us know how it goes.
Glenn

Back