How to replace drop ceiling with drywall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beachguy has a good point. If you're not gaining anything, you might just be creating work for yourself. Pop out the panels, clean up the mess, and put new tiles in. Before you decide, take a trip to the store and see what's available.

All that being said, and after see the pics, you probably want the ceiling to be the same height it is now. Your cabinets etc. are sized for that ceiling.
Yes, I can just pop out and replace the panels but I feel when it comes time to sell, having a dry wall ceiling will add more resale value to the kitchen. So, other than esthetics...I'd say more added resale value is what I'd be gaining, if not height. ;)

Besides, the entire frame trim is gold and the rest of the kitchen will be SS, grey, white & black but even if I can change that trim color in a cost effective manor, I don't feel I'll gain the same added resale value as having a dry wall ceiling but that may require another thread? ;)

Last edited:
Armstrong makes a system called drywall grid which is metal framing similar to what you'd use for a regular drop ceiling but strong enough to screw drywall to it. It's fairly new and we sold it where I used to work. There is a bit of a learning curve to understanding how it all goes together but it's pretty slick once you get the hang of it. Seems like it would be ideal for what you're wanting to do here.

http://www.armstrong.com/commceilingsna/products/drywall-grid-systems/_/N-l

Latest posts

Back