Rotted window bases...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flightsport

Reaction score
We just bought a new home which is about 16 years old. It seems when the previous owner got ill, the house went into a bit of neglect and left unattended for some time. During that time I assume the windows were left open as almost every single one of the window bases (the slanted part that the window comes to rest on when closed) is rotted in at least one place. Sometimes its just a small spot, other times its larger. Either way, it's pulpy to the touch and I could easily force a finger into it. The windows are original, double hung with an after-market, bolt-on storm. My question is this:

Short of replacing all the windows, what is the best way repair this problem? Should I have a pro replace just the base? Or is there a way to fill, sand and seal these pulpy areas? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

We just bought a new home which is about 16 years old. It seems when the previous owner got ill, the house went into a bit of neglect and left unattended for some time. During that time I assume the windows were left open as almost every single one of the window bases (the slanted part that the window comes to rest on when closed) is rotted in at least one place. Sometimes its just a small spot, other times its larger. Either way, it's pulpy to the touch and I could easily force a finger into it. The windows are original, double hung with an after-market, bolt-on storm. My question is this:

Short of replacing all the windows, what is the best way repair this problem? Should I have a pro replace just the base? Or is there a way to fill, sand and seal these pulpy areas? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

My dog took a chunk out of a post with her lead at an old house we lived in. Instead of buying new wood, I used a simple/cheap wood filler from Lowe's. It came in a tube and I can't recall the name of it. It was gritty and stuck very well to the surface without any prep work. Once dried, I added a second coat because it had settled a little less than flush with the existing wood. Once that dried, I sanded and painted it. It looked great, it was easy to do, and I could do it myself!

You can repair rot but you want to remove any suspect wood until you get to what looks like new wood and if it is as bad as you say, I doubt you will be filling. You want to be sure what the cause is and do proper fix so you don't have to do it again.

Back