Hot in summer, cold in winter

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispky

Reaction score
I am a single female homeowner with a problem regarding a bedroom that extends out from my house (Brick exterior, wood framed built around 1960's)
It is always hot in the summer (TX Gulf Coast-not a pretty site) and cold in the winter (we usually use a space heater to supplement a whole house heating/cooling system). The attic insulation is the roll type and seems to be adequate and we have the double pane insulating storm windows (not very good in a hurricane area). I don't know what to do about it, except maybe the wall insulation has deteriorated.
Help!

Hello Crispky:
A few questions to clarify your situation: 1. Is the room on the side of the house that is hit by prevailing winds? 2. Is it served by the central systme. 3. Is there a return air outlet? 4. Is it the furtherest room from the central systme?
No, the insulation doesn't deteriorate as rule, as long as it stays dry. However, some blown in insulation will settle in the walls but we're talking something like 6" from the ceiling. That shouldn't cause your problem.
Welcome to our little group; we are all anxious to help and we like pictures too.
Glenn

Red-neck heat zoning may help. I've done it before and had some luck.

Go to your registers and adjust the baffles. The registers closest to the HVAC unit should be the ones to start with. Try closing them off until the air slows considerably. Leave the registers in the room you are concerned with, wide open. This will not always work, but it may help some.

Changing the location of the thermostat may not help at all unless the unit seems to work really well in that one room.

Glenn-Thanks for your quick reply. I am at a loss on this one.
It is on the south side of the house (coastal side, altho' I am 15 mi. from there);I have central air/heat with old style round ceiling vents that may or may not be adjustable to closing off; there is only one vent in the room (approx. 12 X 15) with one double window +3 single windows. It really heats up in there even when using the ceiling fan. I am at the point that I may purchase a window unit (5K BTU) to supplement the AC. I have closed partway the only adjustable vents in the LR which seemed to help (it is at the opposite side of the house) but it is probably still 10 deg. hotter in there than elsewhere in the house.
I hope this helps...

Didn't mean to leave you out...thanks for your idea. I tried some of that heat-zone engineering and it worked somewhat. I might just add a small window unit to run if I really need it.

Latest posts

Back