How to Repair Blisters on Flat Tucson Roof?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul678

Reaction score
Hi, I'm back to see if my blisters:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drslick/sets/72157638259148954/

Can be repaired in this fashion:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnxUfAz9css[/ame]

The problem I see, is that my blisters appear to be much harder
than the ones in the video. I'm thinking maybe if I wait until
a very hot Tucson summer day, that they will be more pliable
to having an "X" cut into them, and applying BlackJack Roof Patch
to re-seal them?

You can see the blisters cause the rain to pool around them, which
encourages more moisture to enter the blister.

What type of roof do you have? Posting a few pics will help and you should not leave roof cement exposed to uv that's not reinforced with mesh.

Ok, ok.... It looks like elastomeric coating. Use the mesh and get some more of the same coating. Be sure you clean and prime the surface prior to making any patches. Also, make sure the area is dry.

Ok, ok.... It looks like elastomeric coating. Use the mesh and get some more of the same coating. Be sure you clean and prime the surface prior to making any patches. Also, make sure the area is dry.

Yes, it's definitely an elastomeric coated roof.

Here in Tucson, many have recommended the roof be coated every 2 years, due to the intense sunlight here. My roof has certainly been neglected.

But my concern is: My blisters seem to be quite hard and stiff, and not as soft as the blisters in the video I posted. Maybe cutting an "X" into them
would not be the best idea? Perhaps just removing the loose coating layers, and just re-apply elastomeric coating, and leave the blisters
as they are??

Perhaps just removing the loose coating layers, and just re-apply elastomeric coating, and leave the blisters
as they are??

That's what I would do. Be carefull cutting into any roof membrane, but the big question is why is there a bubble to begin with? Patch that area, but also inspect the area around it and any penetrations for seperation of the membrane or flashings.

That's what I would do. Be carefull cutting into any roof membrane, but the big question is why is there a bubble to begin with? Patch that area, but also inspect the area around it and any penetrations for seperation of the membrane or flashings.

Well, the large blisters have mainly formed over my Arizona room. There
are only some very small blisters over the main house.

And because the Arizona room is not directly air conditioned (there
was previously a wall unit that was removed), I assume that
the heat build-up in this room must be partly to blame for these
blisters. The problem with leaving the blisters, and just re-coating,
is that the blisters allow the rain pools to form (as you see in pics),
and so will probably encourage the blisters to perhaps get even
larger, assuming they are due to moisture getting under the top layer
and vaporizing due to the heat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back