Garage Door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man00

Reaction score
I have a warp door going into my garage from kitchen. I only want to replace the door if possible. The door is 32" wide 79 1/4 tall. Can I buy just the door or do I have to get prehung door..I guess it needs to be exterior door ?

yes, you can just purchase the door separate from the jamb.
I suspect it should be a fire rated door or a door with adequate fire rating to meet local code.

You can get a 32x80 slab door. If it's wood you can cut it down. As for fire rated, which are now required, depending on the age of your house and local codes, you may be grandfathered to used a non fire rated door.

I was under the impression that once you touch something that is not to code, it then must be brought up to code. Grandfathering means that you don't have to go through your entire house bringing things up to code after the code has been changed since construction of said code.

A door into the garage should be brought up to code anyway as it is sealed to stop auto off gasses from entering house.
We have stores that do that work where you can just drop off the old door and they prep a new one in a few hrs if they know your coming. If you don't already have the tools this is a good way to go.

Back