Power at Ceiling Fan showing 30 Volts

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We see long runs wired with a 3 wire all the time, they use the same common so the breakers have to be tied together.
I think you can use any box for a junction if room allows, but if the breakers are not tied together they should all be on the same leg to avoid 240 volts.

We see long runs wired with a 3 wire all the time, they use the same common so the breakers have to be tied together.
I think you can use any box for a junction if room allows, but if the breakers are not tied together they should all be on the same leg to avoid 240 volts.

No need to be on the same leg.
The only time breakers need to be tied together is when two hots share a neutral. This is call a multi wire branch circuit (MWBC).
If you have a separate neutral for each circuit then no ties are needed even if the hots are on opposite legs.

I don’t really care for the idea of MWBC and here is one of the reasons.

http://ecmweb.com/content/multiwire-branch-circuits-can-be-dangerous

I also wouldn’t care for mixing three different breaker feeds together in the same Jbox. I would have to assume there is so much draw on each of the circuits thru lighting is the reason they did it that way. If I did do that I think I would be doing some sort of marking inside the box to let someone down the road see each was on its own breaker. With a MWBC you at least see the cable coming in with a red and a black and that lets you know what’s going on.

I still think every switch plate and outlet plate should have the circuit number on it. No guess work.

Back