House circuit puzzle ???

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl2171

Reaction score
I have one circuit, labled "bath and outdoor receptacles." The mystery is, the bath receptacles and light fixtures work fine. BUT the outdoor deck receptacles do NOT. The breaker is not tripped, and surprizingly, it is not one of my ground fault breakers.

How can two dead receptacles in be in the same circuit with other "live receptacles??? I'm stumped. :confused:

Thanks to anyone who can solve this mystery.

If the dead outlets are connected by "push in" connectors on the back of one of the live outlets, it can happen. These do not make a robust connection and may fail over time.

I'm sure you've thought of this but could the circuits be labeled wrong? I almost shocked the crap out of myself when we first moved into our house because our circuits where not labeled properly.

Travelover is probably correct. The connections on the exterior outlets are somewhat exposed to the elements and could be corroded. There's no connection like a good hard connection around the outlet screws.

Yep, I've even disconnected the old corroded outlets and tested the stripped ends of the black and white wires, still no juice. Every circuit breaker in the box, incl. the ground fault ones, have been switched off and then back on, and all circuits appear to be working fine. My wife swears that sometimes when it rains, the circuit in question cuts off -- she can tell when she plugs in her hair dryer. Once the weather dries out, the elec. came back on! Still stumped.

Back