Toilets - what is this?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc0319

Reaction score
My daughter just bought a house. The toilet is running so I took a look in the back. I've never seen this set up before. Can anyone tell me what it is? Can I rip it out and replace with a standard fluidmaster replacement?

image-314314065.jpg

appears to be a small bleach tank that was used before they made those drop in hockey puck tablets.
Gut the entire tank and install all new.

And if you use Teflon paste on the connections you won't have to be afraid of overtorqueing the pipe threads.

I did a little more research. Apparently this is a Mansfield tank. They have proprietary parts and to replace everything I will need to take the tank off the toilet. Just wonderful. Thanks a lot.

to replace everything I will need to take the tank off the toilet. Just wonderful. Thanks a lot.
That's just about par for the course. It's removing or grinding off two rusted bolts and disconnecting the water inlet.

IAW the decision theory proverb of "looking ahead and reasoning backward" you maybe should ask the makers of your replacement parts if their things will work with this toilet.

If you gently raise the float and the water stops running it may be just a bad flapper valve or a saturated float. Make sure the water level is at the mark on the side of the tank.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RKhzXoTR4s[/ame]

Last edited:
Use this website to identify the correct rebuild kit for you toilet.
http://mansfieldtoiletrepair.com/

not saying you have to buy online but, just to be informed when you go to the local stores. I even think Walmart sell the kits. I don't see any reason you would have to buy a Mansfield kit, a tank is a tank is a tank on this particular model.

Last edited:
Great thanks very much. Will check it out

Fluidmaster once told me that 21% of the flushing water volume rinses the sides of the bowl by going down the overflow pipe which is in the lower third of your photo, so as kok328 mentioned the cartridge adds a detergent or ca-ca solvent to the incoming water before it goes to the bowl sides.

Last edited:
Wuzzat? said:
Fluidmaster once told me that 21% of the flushing water volume rinses the sides of the bowl by going down the overflow pipe in the lower third of your photo, so as kok328 mentioned the cartridge adds a detergent or ca-ca solvent to the incoming water before it goes to the bowl sides.

Thanks that does make sense. I will certainly get rid of that thing.

Kok328 - from what I can tell, the Mansfield toilets have a strange cylindrical piece over the flapper. It almost looks like it is a combination of the flapper and fill tube. In order to replace that, I think the tank needs to come off the bowl so it can be unscrewed from underneath. Make sense?

Thanks. I don't think I'm explaining myself well.

Latest posts

Back