Let's Talk Cordless Drills

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about data points for durability, battery life, comfort, etc etc, etc.?

No company tells you their reliability calculations or accelerated life test results.
Highly Accelerated Life Test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Battery discharge time is roughly the amp-hours divided by current draw, but they don't publish avg. current draw, either.
"High drain applications such as power tools may require the battery to be able to supply a current that would drain the battery in 4 minutes if sustained (e.g. 22.5 A for a battery with a capacity of 1.5 A·h)."

The original battery manufacturer [OEM] may tell you the charge/discharge cycles you can expect.
Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now that we're talking about it, the real hidden-cost-of-ownership for these tools may be the cost for replacing batteries & chargers.

Whatever they do publish that is important to you - torque, RPM, weight, hp [probably about 1/4 hp], etc., you can plot vs price and see who is competitive and who isn't.

Last edited:
Another addition to the cost of ownership would be replacing parts for small repairs. Not to mention if you ever need extra bits. I recommend Ryobi or DeWALT if your looking for high quality drills with some good batteries.

I remember Mr. Wizard!!! He was cool!
I'm too young to remember him. :p
And vacuum tubes! :D
And Ike! :usa:

I had some more thoughts on price vs. performance. The example below is hotel prices vs. number of stars they get.

Picture2-7.png

Picking by ratios alone you should go with the $34 hotel. But, it's out of the mainstream and the other ratios are not that far off, so you may want to go with more stars. I can't ever see going with the $121 hotel.

Same for drill price vs. performance; use the ratios and the graph to make your choice. Some drills may come out like the $121 hotel; a bad value.

Last edited:
Excellent example! - It's too bad we still have so many people being sucked into the $121 dollar hotel or (Drill) - It's time to use our brains!

Thanks for the comparison Chart Wuzzat! :agree:

I recently purchased a Milwaukee 18v LI-ION from HD for $200 if I remember correctly. It definitely holds a punch for power and the LED light helps for bad lighting conditions. It came with 2 batteries and a charger so if one goes, the others waiting to be used, and vice-versa.

I think it would beat a craftsman, makita, or dewalt any day.

I go exclusivley now with Millwaukee. Mostly because my old man almost disowned me when I bought an 18v Ryobi Lithium. Made the holidays really freaking miserable.

I do like the Dewalts and hands down it is probably the best bang for the buck. I've never been on a construction site without seeing one sitting around somewhere.

Millwaukee IMO is just really well made, easy to get serviced (In my area), and I have seen them take some horrendous abuse and keep on ticking. I really like the new lithiums and the power meter on them.

The only downside to Old Millwaukee is it's the first tool to get stolen from a job site.

Oh- My Ryobi has worked awesome for the last two years. Especially when I want to rattle the old mans chains....

Back