Ceramic cooktop Glow!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condoowner

Reaction score
I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum and right section of the forum, but here it goes!

Last summer (2012) I purchased a Kitchen Aid range with a ceramic cooktop. Since then, Ive had nothing but problems with it. I managed to get the cooktop nearly destroyed with severe scratches from a cleaning product they gave me, and after months arguing that I didn't clean the cooktop with a diamond cup-wheel :D they admitted that I might have hit a faulty ceramic plate and they replaced it free of charge. Yay! That was last march. They sent a replacement cooktop but the installation fee wasn't covered. The appliance tech who brought it here sincerely admitted that the replacement was a 15 minute job and I could do it myself.

Having nearly renovated an entire house alone, I agreed to replace it myself. I managed to pull the old one, carefully unplug the heater elements and brackets, and reinstalled the new cook-top.

Fast forward 4 months to today, I have noticed something Ive never seen before (or didn't noticed but it happened?), that is, the ceramic glass becomes glowing red when the heater is at maximum capacity for 10 min+.

Its not just the circular element underneath that glows red but the actual glass.

The first picture below shows the element at 100% capacity and the second picture shown the glowing red spot on the glass with the element totally off (this last several seconds after I shut off the element).

So my question: is it normal?!? Anyone else having noticed this?

PS: Colors are WAY off so sorry ..

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

Hey there,

the model # is YKERS308XS0

Im not sure how this will help you help me?! Unless with the model # you can cross reference in a database if that problem has been reported before?

Must admit we don't service ranges in the dark ;) ...so seeing this would be a rare occurance.
I found nothing out of the ordinary with the model and so far the manufacture says this can/will occur.
I have seen the white cook tops change to a green colour where the element is and go back to white once the element area has cooled back down.
So far this doesn't appear to be anything to worry about.

jeff.

So far this doesn't appear to be anything to worry about.

Well very good then! I was just worried seeing the actual glass becoming red not just the heater underneath... I was afraid the glass would melt or something...

Good to know!!! Thanks Jeff for your advice and opinion!

Back