dormer flashing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topher5150

Reaction score
Sometime this year, when it gets warm enough out and I work up the courage, I'm going to be climbing up the ladder to do some shingle repair from the past couple of winters. While I'm up there our house inspector said that we should redo the flashing on the dormer. From what he said it was mostly gobs of silicone rather then actual flashing. I've been looking on line for answers, but what I found is about adding flashing during new construction. I have cedar siding and would like to do this without taking to much apart. I haven't noticed any water damage, and there is a lot of hangover on the dormer roof so that has been helping channel a lot of water away from that area.

house front.jpg

If he's talking about up the side, you'd need to do step flashing, which can involve removing shingles. You can probably slip it up under the siding without removing it. I'd be surprised if you don't have flashing there already though.

6540a25f5c41b983.jpg

Across the front, you'd install a single piece of L shaped flashing, tucking it up under the siding and on top of the shingles.

As my son learned when he was taking training with "Rebuilding Together" you need to think like a rain drop. How will the water flow and how do you direct away from the inside of the building. Shingles will shed water that is flowing down the roof. If you stood at the bottom with a hose and directed the water up the roof with a strong blast you could cause a leak because shingles are designed to work with gravity and the natural flow of water.

Just speculation here. Your house has step flashing from a previous roof job. The flashing are up under the siding and the roofer didn’t want to pull siding and redo new flashing and may have told the home owner we can get away reusing the old flashing. He then tore off the old shingles and slipped the new ones under the old step shingles. The process could have caused leaks or the old flashing could have been beyond their useful life and as a precaution they put the sealer on as they went up the slope. It also could have been there were leaks and someone patched them with the stuff.

If it were mine and I was looking at the roof as a whole I would try and figure out when I was planning on putting a new roof on. If it was soon then I wouldn’t mess with the flashings and do them right at the next roof job. If it is a few years down the road then maybe a repair.

It is DIY but if you are leery of being on the roof and don’t have the equipment to do it safely, it might pay to find a pro.

I'd have to get up there and look myself to see if it has flashing or not, but the inspector said there is a lot of silicone and it looks like it needs attention.

I've done work on the roof before, but it takes me a little extra time to get up there sometimes. Hopefully we get some more money coming in pretty soon so we can afford to get someone else up there.

Back