fixing subfloor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
Hello all, got around to fixing a leaking faucet in my laundry room today. noticed there was some mold where the wall meets the floor. when I yanked up on the linoleum to see how far the mold had progress the linoleum yanked up the top layer of laminate. can I patch this up or do have to replace the subfloor. I'm planning on tiling the floor in the near future anyway. Thanks

If your house has the normal 5/8 plywood subfloor, you may want to stiffen that up with another 1/2 plywood before tiling, just use a floor leveling compound before you lay the new plywood. If you already have 2 layers of plywood and you can't make it bend I think you could just fill it with morter before tiling.

thanks, you're a life saver. wasn't looking forward to ripping up any floors if I didn't have to.

I doubt your sheet vinyl was installed directly to the subfloor. That ply with a missing veneer is probably 1/4" underlayment installed for the vinyl. If so, it belongs at the curb too.

Get back when you're planning for the tiles installation. You do not want to install it direct to plywood.

Jaz

thanks, I wasn't planning on installing the tiles directly on the plywood, but was just curious about the damage and what to do about it. thanks again

If you already have 2 layers of plywood and you can't make it bend I think you could just fill it with morter before tiling. you're a life saver. wasn't looking forward to ripping up any floors if I didn't have to.

Back