Room to Room Heat Transfer - Wood stove

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cliffy: If you're talking about ducting and allowing warm air to contact the outside of the duct, I think I like it.

I have a homemade wood stove in my back porch. I have a furnace case standing right beside it with a furnace fan wired directly to a switch. I have enclosed the stove with tin so it is a closed unit (besides the door of course) I have 12" round duct running from the fan to the center of the house hanging from the rafters below drop ceiling. I then have 14" flex duct side by side above the door of heated rooms to top of stove (3' above) I need to install a thermal switch to the side of the stove as the fan is running constantly making for cold mornings. Return air is key to any heat exchange delivery system or you will be reheating the air wasting your wood. How tight is your home? If you are looking for greener ways, you might consider geo thermal heat. Best of luck.

I discovered I can get a "solar" panel that will work to run my small fan that runs off the light from the fire in the box.

Following up on the installation of my room to room heat transfer, almost two years ago when installed. Results are good, and house stays warm throughout the night on cold nights, 10-30deg F. One change I recommend is using a larger duct fan, maybe 8in with more than a .3 amp motor. The only fan available at Home Depot was the 6in duct fan .3 amp motor and 25ft of insulated 6in flexible ducting, which is another change I would make, to install with solid ducting for a smooth transfer of the heat.
However, I am pleased with the results of transferring the heat to the other part of the house and it give it just enough keep the house comfortable.
I do like the ideas posted for using a solar panel from the fire light, not sure how it will hold up to the heat. Reversing the air flow of pulling cold air to the fire source through the ducting is also a great thought, maybe ducting under the house instead of through the attic space since cold air is lower than hot air.
The inline ducting produces no noise, only the slight rush of the air coming out of the register I installed in the hallway just before the living room. I also use a ceiling fan in the living room, which helps with an even distribution.
Thank you for all the comments and ideas, I really like this site.

Back