Replacing Expansion Joints with ?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumi

I think I can...
Reaction score
Hi guys, been a while. :cool:

What type of caulk should I use in N.E. Ohio to replace some expansion joints between house brick wall and large concrete pad?

I've got water coming into my pump room underneath from rain so it needs to be a water barrier as well.

Any name brand excel over others?

Thanks guys,

- Rumi

I would consider using Sikaflex 1a caulk for the relatively low movement range of your situation. It's a high-end, industrial grade polyurethane that's tough as nails, and has tenacious sticking ability. Don't put it down thicker than 1/2", because it will crack if you do (speaking from experience, when one of my bridge rehab contractors didn't bother reading the installation instructions). Also, you'll need appropriate-sized backer rod under it, and the bonding surfaces need to be "clean enough to eat off of".

Red Devil masonry and concrete caulk also worked VERY well for me. I had some brick wall breaking free from a concrete block wall. I was rather skeptical and thinking was going to have to do a lot of brick work, but this stuff worked great. Fairly inexpensive too. I live in SE Michigan so the weather conditions are similar, so this will be the first winter to REALLY test it, but I was quite impressed so far.

Thank-you for your all of your input guys,you really helped. :cool:

Hello
Dap, Red Devil and Quickrete all make a caulk application that can be used pending the size of the joint. You can get these online or at home depot

Back