Slab edges cracking off

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicko

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have a problem with our slab foundation. The house is 30 years old. I have about three spots along the bottom edge where the concrete has cracked off. Thepictures are where I pulled out a cracked brick and removed a quickcrete patch job the PO had done.

I was getting ready to repair some mortar cracks, and decided to try and do something with the edges too. The edge has been like this for at least five years, so nothing has progressed. I was just looking for some solution ideas.

Thanks in advance.

slab1.jpg

slab2.jpg

slab3.jpg

clean out the open areas & patch w/stiff conc OR mortar as rqd,,, my guess's there's a leveling course that's cracked - not a big deal,,, as the house foundation flexes, there's likely to be some cracking over the years.

Welcome Nicko:
From the pictures I would say the contractor allowed the reinforcing bar to get too close to the surface of the pour. Extreme heating or cooling of that bar will force the surface of the concrete to crack and fall off. Re-bar should have at least 1" of cover with concrete.
You may want to clean the area with a wire brush to get rid of the loose material and the rust on the re-bar, then replace it with stiff concrete allowing it to build out a couple of inches past the re-bar. There is an epoxy product that can be brushed on the existing concrete to help the new to bond well.
Glenn

Thanks for all of the help!!

I was planning on cutting out the rebar that was protruding, because it has broken free from the concrete that is still sound. Then I was going to pressure wash the area prior to patching.

In addition to the epoxy coating to paint on should I use an admix to the concrete also? I have heard of some vinyl patching mixes that might work good too?

Nick

Back