New bedroom from existing room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkins_j99

Reaction score
Hello:

I am going to be building a new interior wall to enclose an existing room and make it a bedroom. I am fairly comfortable framing in new construction scenarios but I wanted to get an opinion on this particular project.

I plan on leaving the ceiling drywall in place and screwing the new wall top plate right though the drywall into the ceiling joists; however, I don't know what the best way is to secure both sides of the new wall into existing walls (see attached image red circles). I don't want to open up the existing walls to add additional vertical framing if possible.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and guidance.

N.Bedroom.jpg

Two was to do it 1. Put up a 2x4 against the wall and make out the drywall and remove the drywall, slip a 2x6 in and center it and screw thru the drywall to hold it in place. A couple screws in the face will act as handles to hold it while you screw it
2. with the same lines just cut a few 3 3/2 x 12" and slip in chunks of 2x4 and screw thru the drywall.

Thank you for the reply. I am having trouble visualizing option 1. I am assuming the two options aren't really providing support for the wall since they drywall is essentially being used to support the 2x6. I could have completely missed the idea here so any clarification would be great. Thanks again.

Yup the drywall will support the 2x6 and there by support the wall. the other idea is just cut in small holes behind where the wall will be and slip in 2x4 blocks and hold them against the drywall and screw them there so that you would be able to attach the first stud to that thru the drywall and yes the drywall will support the wall. You will also be attaching your plates to the ceiling and the floor so this stud against the wall dose not need much to hold it in place.
When you frame a wall like this without drywall in place you would just put a 2x6 in the exesting wall and nail the new wall to it or build the new wall and slide in a 2x6 and nail it there. The point is nothing is stiff until the drywall goes in and stiffin it up.

Thanks, that cleared it up. I will likely go with option 1. You are correct that I will be attaching to the floor and ceiling through the plates which should provide primary support. Appreciate the help.

I like what Nealtw auggested. Just remember that you will add corner studs to build out the wall connection to prvide a nailer for your drywall too. Since these studs will be shot into the bottom plate and the top plate AND the side studs, they will significantly increase the wall strength. Think of them as creating a 4x4 on each side because you have doubled 2x4 studs.

Can you picture it??

Also, it looks like you have a closet next to the desk area. I might suggest you put nailing blocks in the stud cavity for your shelving too. This helps make those connections stronger too.

Fire up the nail gun! :)

Back