Im looking for the strongest concrete screws

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmars

Reaction score
for outdoor humid, hot central florida. Strong structural concrete screws.

Im attaching simposon H10S and LGT2 straps to my rafters and cinder block walls. Im using simpson screws to attach to the rafters, however simpson makes no outdoor concrete screws and has no suggestions. So, Im looking for the best reasonably priced outdoor concrete screws for use in central florida.

thanks,
pa?

Ya, that's a problem, and they probably don't want you to drill them out to take a 3/16 tapcon. If you are working on the ouside above the soffet line perhaps you could bolt a 2x4 to the wall so you could attach to that.

define ' strongest ' - its either shear or pullout strength,,, NOTHING is stronger than thru-bolting w/backing plates using the right threaded rod,,, when we had to diamond core-drill horizontal holes on brick/block, we always thru-bolted,,, we never trust'd lags OR tapcons

I don't like any of it, That many screws in the top section of the blocks. I don't know the number but simpson makes a twisted tie down that's about 1 ft long that would come further down the wall.

i didn't know anyone even made cinder blocks anymore,,, i need to get out more :rofl:

I think you'll find that the blocks at the top are filled with grout making, them solid.

Na.
Much older than that...:beer:

But just as rough...and fallin apart...

the pride & joy of the cornhusker state :beer:

When blocks were invented cinder and ash was added to make the concrete stronger, but as all the block was made in a jig by construction contractors and homeowner, and the mix was often less than perfect. It was only when thye government came along and standerdized the code that things got better. Because cinderblock had such a bad name, new names were given to the product to make people thing it was a different product but the formula is pretty much the same as it was in the 1830sand includes cinder and ash.

So anyone that sells block is selling cinderblock.:banana:

had a block plant in my hometown but, as i recall, so did every other town of decent size in which a coal-fired elec generating station operated,,, thought conc blocks came about from bldrs/arch's/engineers/owners wanting stronger block but no surprise of a conspiracy 'tween canada/usa,,, also thought original cinder blocks were cinders, cement, some ash, & water - that defines the concrete of cmu's but no large aggregate ( crushed stone )

our hometown plant started extruding conc blocks so they could increase profits,,, power plant was shut down by tree huggers - cheaper so shut it down than bring it into new epa compliance,,, no elec = no cinders = no raw mtl for block plant

' anyone that sells block is selling cinderblock ' would be a surprise today to the bowen family who still owns the block plant afaik,,, guess what - i've been gone from binghamton for 35yrs & the block plant's gone too,,, replaced by a mall - who wouldda ever thunk that ? ? ? have no idea where the nearest conc block plant is now but suspect syracuse or utica

Last edited:
for outdoor humid, hot central florida. Strong structural concrete screws.

Im attaching simposon H10S and LGT2 straps to my rafters and cinder block walls. Im using simpson screws to attach to the rafters, however simpson makes no outdoor concrete screws and has no suggestions. So, Im looking for the best reasonably priced outdoor concrete screws for use in central florida.

thanks,
pa?

We kinda got off the subject, sorry. Have you solved this problem.

Latest posts

Back