Deck coating problems

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I researched coatings couple years ago for our deck and walkway I looked at the Rustoleum Restore, the Behr Deckover and Olympic Rescue it.

The Rustoleum I immediately decided against just on the sight of it before I even researched further and found problems like listed in the link.
To me it looked as though you might as well just spread cement over your deck, it was WAY too thick with giant crevasse's and holes that would feel horrible on feet and make it impossible to clean.

The Behr Deckover was just the opposite, it looked like an emory board, basically looked like just paint and what little traction additive was in it was like 1000 grit superfine.

Then I checked out the Olympic Rescue It and that was like the proverbial Goldilocks of deck coating, was not even close to the cement thickness of Restore, but had much better grit than the Deckover.
It has very noticeable grit that is just right.

I put 3 coats on our walkway at least 14 months ago and so far it is holding up nicely, no cracks, no chips, not wearing out anywhere, except for a few stains from wet leaves, walnut shells, and bird poop it actually looks just as good as the day I did it.

So I would definitely recommend the Olympic Rescue It.

I just took 2 pics just now to show condition after more than one year and this is our walkway which gets 10X the traffic that our deck does.
Looks to me like it is going to last at least another 4-5 years maybe longer.
I have never had a deck coating (mostly stains) last more than 1 year.

20141106_103007.jpg

20141106_103021.jpg

where's that work located ? we've also always had luck w/olympic !

where's that work located ? we've also always had luck w/olympic !

Raleigh NC and its under 2 large Walnut trees so its being bombarded with a few thousand Walnuts every year plus daily foot traffic.

My sister's deck is coated with Rust-oleum. It seems to be okay, but I will give it a closer look next time I'm there. Assuming I don't have major problems with it, can it be over-coated with a different brand when necessary.

i have no idea,,, we used it BEFORE Rustoleum bought it from Synta,,, in fairness, most issues are a result of either improper material selection or surface prep

Back