squaring wall framing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
this may sound like a stupid question but when framing a wall, do I need to make sure it is perfectly square or does it take care of itself as long as my measurements are true? thanks

You should make sure the walls are square. You can do easily enough by using the 3-4-5 method.
One leg is say 3 feet long the other is say four feet long and the hypotenuse is 5 feet long, works very well.
It is a great system to show an advanced alien civilization that the Human race has some intelligence (should you need it at some time).

Andy.

By the way, how is that rock moving going?

thanks for the response. I'm surprise to hear that someone knows about greek mythology. I use to read alot of that stuff when I was younger many eons ago. found it very entertaining. can't even get my kids to show any interest. thanks again

Good luck using the 3 4 5 on a wall. Fine for a foundation or deck, but all a walls needs in to be plumb in all directions.

If your framing an outside wall on new construction, tack the bottom plate down on a line and frame the wall on the floor, check measurement on the di-angle ,it should be the same both ways. when you have it square tack down the top plate and apply plywood. If you have cut all your top and bottom plates to match your inside wall will look after themselves when you brace up your house. That is not to say you don't check for plumb later.

Back