Bathroom rebuild

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonestarsmoker

Reaction score
Hi folks. I am new to the forum. I am about to tackle a big job. I intend to take my bathroom down to the studs. I will be going back with a tile shower, tile floor with radiant heat under the tiles. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I should do this.
Thanks
Dan

OK, Dan, you asked for it. You want to walk into the bathroom, remove all of the old stuff, and install new stuff. Done!

Seriously, you need to be a bit more specific with any questions you may have.

Good plan to take it to the studs if you are planning a tile shower and radiant heat. I would even take up the floor around the toilet to inspect the drains, look at the shower drain, the sink drains etc and make sure it all looks good and no evidence of leaks. When you get to putting it all back together remember it will leak. Design every layer to deal with leaks, I used plastic on the thuds, then tar paper, then the Hardibacker which I sealed with Red Guard. One I built had a tub and the other was all concrete, the concrete one also had a butyl rubber type shower pan in there as well. Moving the placement of a shower or tub or sinks is relatively easy after you gut the bathroom, but moving a toilet is not as easy especially if you have cast iron lines.

Don’t forget to insulate around everything especially the shower, that will keep it warm and keep the water noise from traveling as far. Remember to upgrade your outlets to GFCI, install a good exhaust fan for the water vapors. Water is the enemy, it can cause a lot of damage and is patient enough to keep attacking things until it wins. That is why I say to plan everything out as if it will leak.

Good luck!

Bridgeman is correct, you need to be well planed and prepared to do a job like this. I do this for a living and I still get scared when it's all demo out and nothing but studs. Most of the time I find very bad things:(

Well....start post some pictures up of your framing in there lets start with that before you start closing thing in.

After framing then plumbing then electrical then drywall. Do u have exhaust fan? No? put one in its open already.
Take a level to everything
Is your floor level for tub how about level for vanity.

Taking down to the studs is an excellent idea but my first question would be is this Bathroom on a concrete slab or is it on a crawlspace or second floor? my second question would be do you presently have a Just shower or a tub or a tub shower combo. Pictures would be real nice:)A couple things to expect, moisture, maybe some rot, this has to be delt with and bone dry before you start filling anything in. Another question would be how old is the house and how old is the present fixtures ( original or it has been redone in the past). Of course your going to have plumbing issues to deal with one of which is the shower or tub or shower tub water system. This should be replaced with all new fixtures as well as the drains.
Do you have tile setting experiance, this is a major issue and is where many mistakes happen.
My last question would be what are you going to do on this bathroom yourself and what will be hired out. I also do this for a living and like isola96 said expect bad things then it won't be such a surprise:)sneak over to my photo's page I do have some picks under the Bathroom section http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/daryledi/BathLaundry/

Last edited:
Looks like this guy made his first post, asked a question and then never came back to hear out replies... bummer.

Looks like this guy made his first post, asked a question and then never came back to hear out replies... bummer.

It happens a lot. Some loose interest, some get distracted, some, I think may have been abducted by aliens.:rolleyes:

It's to bad, this is an excellent topic to discuss, just did 4 bath redo's and was all ready to get into this :(

I have not been abducted, really. Just real busy with work, the rebuild and family problems. The rebuild is going well. I am taking things really slow as I have never done any of this type of work at all. I found the dry rot as expected, fixed that. I had to rehang the door, fixed that. I cement board on the floor and shower stall walls. I have tile half way up the shower stall. I have learned so much on this project. The next time I do this it should be a whole lot easier.
Dan

Way to go Dan. For a while, I thought I'd hurt your feelings with my first response to take out the old and install the new. Good to hear you're moving right along.

Excellent, excellent, excellent, how did you like putting on the waterproof membrane, I remember the first time I ever did some and I had nothing but fun :D

Dan, glad you haven't lost interest, glad you wern't abducted and glad to have you here. Post some pics of your progress.

Well, can I add my congratulations? It's a big job, but so rewarding once it's done. I just finished my rebuild of my bathroom. Took me way too long, but the reward is worth the effort. Good luck on the project and you definitely picked the right forum to join.

Are you getting Carrera Marble flown in from Italy? Gold plated fixtures? $10K!! Really. You need some more estimates my friend. I am guesstimating HALF of that would be more likely without looking at it. Get at least three estimates, I bet you see a $3500, a $5000, and your bloated $10,000 from the guy with a big truck and alimony payment estimates.

Back