Garage door and concrete slab not matching up

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveDel

Reaction score
I just had a new garage door put in and now the door and the slab don't match up so there's a big gap between the bottom of the door and the floor.

It's not a gap underneath the door though. If you walked up to the closed door from inside and looked straight down you can see that the concrete is 'bowed' which is causing the gap. Both ends of the garage door are sitting on the concrete but the entire middle is just floating.

My question is would it be better to chip away at both ends of the slab so the door sits flush with the driveway or add a few inches to slab into the driveway so the entire door sits on that?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Steve

Welcome Steve:
I like the chipping approach, or you could put a piece of rubber garden hose across the bottom of the door to take up the void space.
Glenn

Thanks Glenn. I like the hose idea, but would like to look into a little bit more professional look :). I'm going to look into some of the products available that are glued to the floor to help seal up the door, I'm thinking that may be enough to seal up the gap.

I live near the coast and come hurricane season that little gap would let in a ton of wind and water!

Thanks again for your help!

Great news! My garage door opener wasn't really cutting it with the new, stronger, heavier door so I invested in a beefier garage door opener. I installed it today and with the new opener the rubber rail at the bottom of the door is compressing properly and the gap is completely sealed.
:banana:

WOOOOOOOhOOOOO now you can survive the next rainstorm....or hurricane.
More power is always nice too.:welcome:

It is always nice to fix something without messing with chipping concrete or ruining perfectly good garden hose. :)

Back