Bathroom remodel estimate help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank0

Reaction score
Hi!
Can someone tell me if the quote looks resonable? Would it be better to go with a laminate counter top?

Counter top = 58'' x 22'' with 5'' back splash

Floor size = 97'' x 59''

Estimate labor rate here = $25-$30 hr

Quote is labor only.

1. Take out bathroom sink
2. Prep countertop in bathroom as needed for tile
3. Screw on cement board over top of existing countertop
4. Cut out area for new sink
5. Install wood trim at front and right side of countertop for finish
6. Apply mortar over cement board for tile installation
7. Install tile countertop (recommend 8” to 12” square tiles)
8. Install tile back splash (1 piece high)
9. Install grout over all tiled areas
10. Take out toilet
11. Install vinyl flooring over bathroom floor
12. Install vinyl base molding where bathroom vinyl meets wall
13. Install new sink
14. Apply caulking around sink
15. Install new toilet
16. Apply caulking around toilet
17. Clean up
18. Total = $450

Tile or laminate counter tops are so 1980's. Unless this is a cheap remodel, you can even go with granite tile for an upgrade but around here, everyone is opting for full granite tops.

The estimate is fair, if not too low. Better check his portfolio of work and references.

Have a great time!

I agree with Bob on this one.
Even a new composit top that looks like stone would be a better choise then tile or formica.
I've never been a big fan of tile tops, I've seen to many become a maintaince issue and leak where the grout lines are under the sink.
Plastic baseboards is also something I would not do.
The caulking around the base of a toilet in my opion is also something I would skip. If that wax ring starts to leak I what to know about it, not have it trap water under the toilet and have it rot out the floor and lift the linolium.

Last edited:
I agree with Bob on this one.
Even a new composit top that looks like stone would be a better choise then tile or formica.
I've never been a big fan of tile tops, I've seen to many become a maintaince issue and leak where the grout lines are under the sink.
Plastic baseboards is also something I would not do.
The caulking around the base of a toilet in my opion is also something I would skip. If that wax ring starts to leak I what to know about it, not have it trap water under the toilet and have it rot out the floor and lift the linolium.

The house is still orginal from the late 70's and I am updating to sell. I am thinking of going with decent, but lower end carpet ect. Also probably leave the kitchen cabinets which look OK, but not great, due to the outrageous cost of replacement. I will also need to redo the kitchen countertops and floor. Do you still think it may be worth going with composite tops?

Thanks Joe!

Your biggest money return comes from three things:

1. Upgrades in the kitchen
2. Upgrades in the bathroom(s)
3. Adding living space (bedrooms, great room, etc.)

If you can re-face the cabinets and add composite counters you will be making a smart play. Leaving the cabinets, lost in the 1970's will hurt sales appeal. Same goes for the counter tops. I recommend killing the old look, removing dated lighting fixtures, and upgrading wherever possible.

Have fun!

I work closely with a real estate agent that I happen to trust. If she gets a call about for a possible listingthat will show poorly she calls me in.
And vice versa.
Here's how it work, she goes in and walks around as if she was customer looking for a new home. Anything she see's that is going to cause someone to offer a lower price, that needs to be addressed first.
She also does a like sales report. That simply means what homes in that area with the same features.

What this does is show you the most important things to work on and make sure you do not over spend on things that will not matter to a new buyer or will increase the asking price behond what can be recooped when selling.

When I drive up to a home for sale sometime I just have to wonder sometimes what the people are thinking.
First I look at the roof and chimmney, signs of lack of simple maintaince on the outside like peeling paint, rotted trim, loose siding, gutters hanging down, broken railing, old style windows, steps and stoop all cracked, junk laying around the yard, front door that looks like it's seen better days.

First you have to impress them enough to have them want that house even before the front door is opened. People looking for a new home drive around all the time looking, if they see one that shines on the outside there far more likly to call the listing agent for a showing.
It's a fact that when someone makes an offer on a home there going to lower it by what they guess it's going to cost to fix things like a new roof or any other items needing work.
But what there going to come up with for a price will often be twice as much as it really would cost to fix.
So why not bite the bullet, get it fixed before the showing and they will have no good reason to lower the offer.
I saw one house for sale in a really nice area, all the near by homes were in great shape, well kept yards. This house had been for sale for 3 years with not one showing.
The lady selling the home had let her grandson live in the house, he had an engine block hanging from a tree, he had ran into the garage door, every door frame was busted and all the screens were bent from him and his wife fighting and locking each other out of the house. There was holes in the sheetrock everywhere, there was a working hot tub on the back deck that they had filled with sand for there son to play in, they had broken off all the deck railings.
We got them booted out, then had to haul away 13 trailer loads of trash from the yard and house.
Once we finished fixing everything at a total cost of $4000.00 and 14 days of labor the home sold in 2 weeks with a full price offer.
Before the repairs the lady was going to sell the house as is at a $100,000 loss.

Hi Joe!
Realtor told me I should just do the countertops in formica and leave the cabinets alone, however; I will look and see if there is something I can do to improve the cabinets without spending thousands to replace. The house is in a lower middle class neighborhood and will sell around $130k, so I am trying to do the work with that in mind.

I understand what you mean about removing excuses for people not to buy and getting them interested in the first place by the exterior appearance. This will be my goal. I will buy a camera in the next day or two so I can get some pics.

Thanks for your help!

It is all about location . . . but in a down market, you want to flip that house quickly. Any improvements that distinguish your property above the competition can be "cost recovered" within reason. You DON'T put in a pool. You do upgrade the curb appeal and the cosmetics. You do update the obvious lighting . . . and we typically update plumbing fixtures and new ABS piping under cabinets.

Not sure what your fix-up budget is . . . but cabinets and counter tops are a nobrainer in our area.

It is all about location . . . but in a down market, you want to flip that house quickly. Any improvements that distinguish your property above the competition can be "cost recovered" within reason. You DON'T put in a pool. You do upgrade the curb appeal and the cosmetics. You do update the obvious lighting . . . and we typically update plumbing fixtures and new ABS piping under cabinets.

Not sure what your fix-up budget is . . . but cabinets and counter tops are a nobrainer in our area.

I've decided to maybe go with quartz tile for the kitchen counter tops and look at the possiblity of replacing the cabinets, depending on cost. Is ceramic or porcelain tiles good enough for flooring for kicthen and dining room?

P.S. I have to paint, both in and out, new roof, carpet, landscaping and God knows what else to make it presentable. I was hoping to get it done for around 10k, but I bet it's going to be closer to 15k, just to make it presentable. Good news is that houses in my target selling price range are moving.

Roofing can run $5k-$7k depending on what you need. Your sweat equity can paint for very little IF you know how. Carpet is what carpet is . . . Your tile choices would be good if you can lay it yourself.

Welcome to the world of house flipping. Its about purchase price and low cost repairs. :0)

Back