efflorescence on bricks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwinston

Reaction score
Hello,

I am not sure if it is a big issue, but I noticed a lot of white marks on the bricks of the house. What is strange is that all the houses around me don't seem to have the same problem. Some marks looks like white deposits, while others looks like washed white water mark streaks on the wall that don't come off with water (i attached a pic). During the one year, the builder sent a handy man who tried to clean a few bricks with muratic acid, but its not realistic to cover the entire house, plus I am not sure if the acid itself can cause any damage. My question is , how serious is this efflorescence business, and whether the builder or Tarion could do something about it. My house was built 2 years ago.

Thank you in advance

Jullian

U1111ntitled.jpg

Efflorescence is not uncommon in new masonry, and generally most of it will be done in about two years time as long as there are no moisture problems causing it. Acid cleaning is the usual cure but not all brick will tolerate acid. The local yellow pages should get you a few people out to have a look; just make sure that they are insured and read the contract well before signing anything so you don;t get any surprises. If it comes back quickly, then you've got other problems which need to be addressed before trying again.

Phil

Latest posts

Back