External foundation cracks (pictures)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tahin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I check this forum regularly and all of your knowledge helped me tremendously with home projects. Now I have my own issue that's over my head that I need some advice on.

Last year we purchased a house. This house is built on a 6' or so slope, and has a vertical foundational crack at the bottom of the slope in the east wall near the SE corner (REF: East2a.jpg, East3a.jpg). Our home inspector called out the crack in the inspection, and noted that it had been supported by brackets run horizontally across the cracks, and the crack looks to have been filled. The support bracket runs along the corner of the house to the south side (REF: South1a.jpg). It looks like it was professionally done, but who knows.

Concern 1: The bottom of the crack is still exposed (East3a.jpg). There's a gaping hole of unknown depth. I'm also not sure how far undergdound it goes. Does this need to be corrected?

Concern 2: There's another crack on the south wall about 6' from the damaged corner (REF: South2a.jpg). This is a lot thinner. But because it's so close to the first crack and on the adjacent wall, could that mean the SE footing is broken?

Thanks!!
Tim

East2a.jpg

East3a.jpg

South1a.jpg

South2a.jpg

Neal,
Its a daylight basement. The crack is actually on the lower corner of the garage, and around the corner is a little storage shed built on.

Neal,
Its a daylight basement. The crack is actually on the lower corner of the garage, and around the corner is a little storage shed built on.

You can see by the repair it happened at time of build.
A stepped foundation today would get a lot more steel where the elevation changes And things do move down hill.
I would not lose any sleep but you could make it look a little better. And you could go down and waterproof the crack to below the floor level.

Thanks for the information! The house was built in the late 50's - was that a common repair back then?

The crack is on the corner of the garage, so there's no basement there. I'm in MT, the frost line here is 36". I haven't tried to dig down yet; honestly I'm not sure I'd recognize the footer. Would it just extrude out more at the base?

The top of the footer would be about 3' down and it would be flat with the foundation sitting on it so it would be like a shelf.

Great! I'll go digging. So a cracked footer anywhere along that corner would indicate a footer repair would be necessary?

Great! I'll go digging. So a cracked footer anywhere along that corner would indicate a footer repair would be necessary?

Unless it is moving a broken footer would be fine now and the patch has stabilized the wall. All I would be looking for is pretty and water proof.

Back