Lighting ideas for a 3'x3' shower but here is the catch...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit51284

Reaction score
I am looking for lighting ideas for my 3'x3' shower... I would like to put a recessed light in the center but here is the catch... there is a ceiling joist that is going through the center of the shower, running perpendicular to the entrance of the shower...

so the centered recessed is not an option without it looking crazy...Any ideas:confused:

Last edited:
So......
Due two lights and balance them to your liking.:)

If you can get to the area above the shower, you can build a "box" around the shower stall center like they do for ceiling access stairways.
You double up some rafters and terminate the center rafter ends so its load is transferred to the adjacent rafters.
http://paragoninspects.com/images/interior/stairs/pulldown/framing500.jpg

The problem is that fasteners in the end grain of the rafters don't hold well, but some companies make metal fixtures of every conceivable geometry to handle this problem of "difficult intersections".

Last edited:
If you can get to the area above the shower, you can build........

That's the better idea if the thought of cutting into ceiling joists doesn't bother you. It's legal and easy enough to pull off.:)

Or use a 12vac puck light rated for damp/wet locations. :confused:
The recommended light level for bathrooms is about 80 lux.

Last edited:
Back