Elegant Archways

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PearlWhiteGT

Reaction score
I need some ideas on how to make my archways look more elegant. Any input would be great because I have no idea & I am new to this. I just want something that is not too expensive but will WOW lots of people when the come in.

Thanks!!!

MyHouse012.jpg

MyHouse011.jpg

MyHouse021.jpg

MyHouse045.jpg

I kinda think there wow already. Maybe some contrasting colors would be more effective.
Curved arches are really hard to work with unless your willing to rip them apart and then you get lots of mess and expense.
Just my two cents worth.

Hello PearlWhiteGT:
You may want to use a stencil on your arches; Ivy vines or flowers. Its kinda like putting a border on the walls and could be very attractive or could get very gaudy. Its a thing of taste
Glenn

They already look great! try what Glenn said maybe?

After really thinking about it I'm just going to leave them alone. Thanks for the advice!

I've seen this done in other places and I'm planning on doing it in my house with similiar arches to yours. Painting the underside of them white or a lighter contrasting color, really makes them stand out more. That may have been what Daryl was saying, but I like that look.

I painted the undersides of my arches white gloss (high traffic area). Made a nice contrast/look.

One thing I've considered is choosing a curved colonial molding to go around them. It can be done, esp. with mdf or foam. Our house is on the water, and it's a colonial, so it would fit.

But man, it's got to be so much easier to just leave em and enjoy the 'open space'.

Stencil idea is neat too.

Oh... just ran across a better homes and garden site that showed how to paint a faux trim around your archway. Very interesting look. So instead of installing actual moulding, you paint a ... band? of white (for example) around the arch.

Another site showed using curtains or drapes in an archway to create a cozy, english library effect.

Back