Too tall to tip (need to remove a truss)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man

Reaction score
I built an ice shanty recently and now realize it is a little to big to tip on the side to get out of my garage. I have to take the sheet rock off the ceiling to tip it, and may need to take out the bottom part of one truss. I am thinking this would be ok for a temporary measure (maybe an hour) before putting it back up, as long as there is not load on the roof...... right?

Do not cut any trusses that hold the roof and drywall ceiling up. If it is a 2x6 or? running across the garage ceiling holding the drywall ONLY up, go ahead and remove it. Replace later, as said, and mud and tape the patch joints with an additional coat over that of mud. This is to keep any air/fire from spreading to the garage attic/house.

Gary

After being told never cut a truss and you do it anyway use 4' x 2x4 scab to replace it and nail it with 2x 3"nails every 3". The peice you cut out is at liest 1/4" to short replace it. But the rule is {never cut engineered trusses}

A man from Texas working in northern Canada was asked how he liked the cold here. He said he loved but missed his fishing on the weekends. He was told he could go ice fishing, all he would need was an auger to drill thru the ice. He thought about it for awhile and bought an auger. On saterday he got all ready to drill a hole and he hurd a voice load and clear "there are no fish there". He looked around and moved about 20 feet and started drilling and again he hurd the voice."there are no fish there" now he is really confussed and yels out "who are you?" and hears the voice again"the arena manager"

Back