What is my subfloor made of ?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shycas2008

Reaction score
Hello all !

Going to be tearing up the carpet and installing either a wood floor or a concrete floor. I have not decided. I live on the second floor in a condo made in the 1980's.

Anyways, pulled up some of the carpet / carpet pad and was looking at the subfloor; an area that was about 3x4.

It is a chalky hard, consistent flooring material. There are staples and floor tack nailed into it. Little cracks here and there. Stuck a knife into it and pulled a little came out like sand... It reminds me of drywall but it can't be drywall right ? I would like to redo my floor but I want to know what this material is before I even start.

If you look at the subfloor - there are little gouges and cracks. Some staining - not a big deal. But some nice, new polished concrete or hardwood would look stellar in this home. Still confused on what it is !

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

This lightweight concrete - would it be suitable to lay a stain / seal over ? Or is that crazy talk ?

there is a multitude of products that might be called light weight concrete, some might work well with stain. I guess testing would be the plan.

Sounds like gypcrete. It is used to reduce weight. Most of it gets powdery after a few years. Probably will need sealer to do anything with it.

Thanks Everyone !

I will continue to look for a resolve on my terribly ugly subfloor / carpet. You have all been extremely helpful !

Back