DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Concrete Spalling to buy or not to buy house?

Old 08-14-2014, 08:56 AM  
Floridagal

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
i see opportunity here we're selling our place in hilton head & i'd love to get back down to islamorada / marathon,,, maybe its time to look down there ? i've repaired underwtr columns for fl & la dot's,,, good work,,, tnx for the post

there are marine contractors who specialize in this work + many prof engineers who have good experience w/method & materials - good luck !

ps - any home in the keys will have the same issue ( the wtr table's so high - salty, too ) if on piers,,, grade beams OR slab is better imho

Interesting, thank you for your opinion. I have noticed that nearly all have some damage to the supporting from the rust/salt water the more I check into it, the more I see and understand it's nearly impossible to not have some sort of salt water damage. Still haven't heard back from the engineer. Hopefully, if nothing else I'll understand all of it all the more.

Yes, there are some great buys down there still. I prefer Marathon, would consider as far north as islamorada, but that would be as far north I'd go. I feel Key West, and Key Largo are both way too commercial, so trying to stay south of Key Largo, and at least 25 miles north of Key West.

Thank you for your opinion again, it helps to hear from others that have dealt with similar problems.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014, 11:52 AM  
Kat2014

Just wondering how it all turned out.
Did you get bids on the repairs?

Old 12-06-2014, 04:00 PM  
Floridagal

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Kat2014

Actually found a different home in the same area, which is in the process of being built. Our plans are to do most of the work ourselves, and let he pros do what we don't feel comfortable taking on. The bids we did get on the other home we're reasonable but as it turned out there we're more problems with the home. Possibly could be a good buy for someone out there.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:20 AM  
stadry

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

we're head'd down next month after putting our place up for sale on hilton head - mind pm'ing the address ?

thanks in adv

pro mtls + tools + methods + knowledge + skills = pro results

Old 12-08-2014, 09:11 AM  
Floridagal

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
we're head'd down next month after putting our place up for sale on hilton head - mind pm'ing the address ?

thanks in adv
Just sent you the link to the listing. Let me know what you think… hope someone is able to save that house. Such ashamed to see something just rot away, there's another one down there in the same area that's waterfront the asking price is a lot more because it's waterfront… However, if someone was able to repair it, it too would be an excellent buy. I'll see if I can find that listing as well.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:10 AM  
stadry

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

it may not be salvageable if, as you said, the contractor used salt wtr for the conc,,, rebar out of place isn't unexpected & that's fairly easy to repair w/ovhd rep mtls - just labor intensive.

more importantly, what about the rest of the structure IF the guy used salt wtr ? nevertheless we'll probably look - thanks, gal !

pro mtls + tools + methods + knowledge + skills = pro results

Floridagal Likes This 
Old 12-13-2014, 08:03 PM  
Floridagal

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
it may not be salvageable if, as you said, the contractor used salt wtr for the conc,,, rebar out of place isn't unexpected & that's fairly easy to repair w/ovhd rep mtls - just labor intensive.

more importantly, what about the rest of the structure IF the guy used salt wtr ? nevertheless we'll probably look - thanks, gal !
That's exactly what we were thinking, the rebar & concrete yes possible for someone with experience and time, but if the rumors are true about the original builders in the area using salt water to mix the concrete, it can't be good. I'm estimating at least 5 different people told us this during our travels back and forth. It wasn't like we ever asked it that was true either, just in general conversations with different locals in different areas told us this. It is worth checking further into, you may possibly be able to google it to see if there have been any news articles or coverage on the subject in that area.

Quick Reply