Lead Paint Concerns

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffSeb

Reaction score
I, along with 8 others, bought houses in a small subdivision from 1 owner. We went to repaint our cedar siding and found out we have lead based paint.

The houses were built in 1977.

We were not told about the paint at any time during the sale of the house. We have the POS from the seller and their home inspection. Also we have our own home inspection. None of them talked about lead based paint.

What can we do?

I found this:
Congress passed the Residential Lead-Based Paint Hazard Reduction Act of 1992, also known as Title X, to protect families from exposure to lead from paint, dust, and soil. Section 1018 of this law directed HUD and EPA to require the disclosure of known information on lead-based paint and lead-based paint hazards before the sale or lease of most housing built before 1978.

Good or bad, everyone who works on a house now needs to follow those new rules. Not sayin I agree with them, but the intent is good to save kids from lead paint.
And my opinion is they should be following all the ones who made all the $$ off lead based paint, not the unsuspecting homeowners.
And unless you ask for a lead inspection you will not get one. My company always asks about ALL the environmental concerns you may have and want tested. radon, water lead, asbestose and bugs are all extra services provided only by some companies. You get what you pay for.

Contact your local area health dept for more info.

Back