Leveling Floors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rookiepb

Reaction score
Hi

I just bought an old house build in the 40's. It is a Pier and Beam. The floors are unlevel. An inspector told me I could just use a 1 x 2" around the outside of the room, then use 3/8" plywood, shims if necessary, with some carpet pad to fill the void space and prevent creaks.......Is this a fessible way to correct the problem or should I try and level it from underneath. This will be rental property, but want it to be nice. The floors are wood now but like like miniture rolling hills. I would like to fix the problem as inexpensive as possible...thanks

Rookie

Welcome Rookie:
It sounds like the inspector is talking about a cover-up rather than a remedy. I would want to level the floor from underneath, adding beams and/or joists as necessary. Procede with caution though; we don't want you to get trapped under there.
Glenn

There worth a thousand words, and you will get at least that many around here. Get to know the place a little better, maybe go in the crawl and describe what you see to us. Where are the beams and posts? And how do these relate to the floor joists? And how to the valleys or high spots in floor above? This info is a starting point, and will get you a great deal of response, good luck.....

Back