broken gas trimmer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonriffel

Reaction score
My Craftsman gas trimmer just stopped one day a couple months ago. I've check the most obvious things, gas, spark plug, etc. Is it worth it for me to get it fixed, or will it cost more than it is worth?

Would a repair guy give me anything for it.

I'd check Craigslist for a working used one. Sell the nonworking one there, too, for a few bucks.

You might be able to fix it yourself, if you are handy. Your local library probably has a small engine repair book available, or you can look on line.

I just got my lawn mower fixed (it took 3 tries for somebody to determine that it wasn't just bad gas or a dirty carburetor). Turns out that there is some sort of small valve that went bad in the carburetor itself. A little white piece that was about $8.

What are the chances this is something similar in the trimmer? It sputters like it wants to run, but just won't stay running.

It could be a small inexpensive piece here also, but it takes some specialized knowledge to figure out which piece that is. That is why I recommended reading a small engines repair manual.

If the engine has spark, it is probably a problem within the carburetor.

If I was you I would get an professional to have a look at it first. If you know what the problem is you will also know how much it will cost to fix. In some cases it really is not worth fixing these kinds of things. So if it's not then just sell the thing to someone that will maybe be interested in fixing it or using some of the parts. At least you will getting something back!

If I was you I would get an professional to have a look at it first. If you know what the problem is you will also know how much it will cost to fix. In some cases it really is not worth fixing these kinds of things. So if it's not then just sell the thing to someone that will maybe be interested in fixing it or using some of the parts. At least you will getting something back!

It's been 6 months, I think he probally has resolved this issue by now.

Latest posts

Back