'decorative' ceiling removal?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakuda

Reaction score
I have a ceiling that looks like this:

photo5.jpg

I am assuming that it is just mud or something similar to make the texture. Any ideas on getting this crap down? I know it will be a mess, but eventually I plan on knocking down a wall and combining my kitchen and utility room. One room, has this, the other does not. Therefore, it must go.

Oh yeah, the blue is gone as well. That color was not a good choice. It taught me to always have someone else second color choices - since my color perceptions are poor.

Dry scrape it to break the points, sand the high spots and skim coat it with Drywall joint compound.
If you try to soak it to loosen it, you risk damaging the drywall and having a sag between each ceiling joist, or worse, the ceiling falling.
Scrape, sand, skim, sand some more! :)

So basically, rip the ceiling down when I redo the kitchen. That has to be easier since I have to rip out those walls anyway (glued panels on them). Then, around the spot where this stupid ceiling texture goes into the next room, scrape, sand, skim, sand until the next room starts.

yuck, That is a crime against man and nature

If you are still looking for solutions..............Yoo can rent a power drywall sander from Home Depot. It has a built in filter in the vacuum systemto help keep the sanding dust down ( does a pretty good job as long a s you stop and remove it and take it out and knock the dust out of it once in a while. They will make you buy the foam backer pad and sanding disks but it is well worth it for your job! easy to use , just take your time and go over the surface twice , once to take half the material off and second to smooth the surface. Don't get agressive with it ! (It can take all the mud off if you do)
Saves alot of hassle and mess Has a 9 or 11" diameter surface. the only thing you 'll have to do by hand are the corner areas. If done with care you should have a good smooth surface for painting with little prep!

Latest posts

Back